How to Avoid static electricity

Static electrical shock your worst nightmare? The clothes you choose, shoes you wear and even the things you touch might be the encouraging this natural phenomenon. If static shock is ruining your day then take some action.

Reduce your chances of getting a nasty shock that's not just annoying, but potentially dangerous.
You Will Need

* Cotton clothing
* Leather-soled shoes
* A humidifier
* Dryer sheets
* A key

Step 1: Wear cotton

Wear clothes made from cotton and other natural fibers, which are low-static materials.

Step 2: Go barefoot

Wear leather-soled shoes or go barefoot if you're getting shocked indoors. Synthetic-fiber, rugs and rubber shoe soles can react to create static electricity.

Step 3: Touch nonconductive material

Touch nonconductive material to reduce static buildup, including wood or concrete. Touching metal, water, or another person when your body is highly charged has the opposite effect and may give you a shock.

Step 4: Use a humidifier

Use a humidifier or put out a bowl of water in very dry rooms. Static charge build-up is enhanced when the air is dry.

Step 5: Use dryer sheets

Rub your car seats or upholstered furniture with dryer sheets if static is a problem there.

Step 6: Touch door frame

Avoid potentially dangerous shocks while pumping gas by touching the vehicle's metal doorframe before you get out of the car. Hold the metal until you are completely out of the car.

Don't re-enter the car while fueling. If you must, discharge static again before touching the pump.

Step 7: Use your key

Touch a key to another metal object to painlessly discharge build up before you touch anything with your hands.

After removing a hat, hairs receive the same positive charge, which repel each other, causing hair to stand up.

Be the First to Comment

Share Your Thoughts

  • Hot
  • Latest