A hungry tick is a determined little bugger—it wants to find its way into your skin if it's the last thing it does. Here's how to make sure it is the last thing it does.
You Will Need
* A pair of fine-tip tweezers
* Some rubbing alcohol
* Cotton balls
* Warm water
* A small, disposable, lidded container
* A tissue
* A pair of gloves (optional)
* A sealable plastic storage bag (optional)
* Tape (optional)
* A washer and dryer (optional)
Step 1: Remove with tweezers
If you find a tick, never attempt to remove it by hand—use a pair of tweezers.
Step 2: Sterilize tweezers
Sterilize the tweezers by swiping them with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol, or by thoroughly washing them in soap and warm water.
Step 3: Grasp tick's head with tweezers
Press the tweezers as close to your skin as possible and grasp the tick's head where it enters your skin. Do so carefully, and avoid crushing the tick's body, which can release bacteria.
Step 4: Pull tick away from skin
Pull the tick directly away from your skin—do not attempt to twist or pry it out. Don't panic if the tick's mouthparts are left behind. Once the body is removed, it can no longer transmit bacteria.
Contrary to popular belief, trying to burn out the tick with a matchstick or smother it with petroleum jelly doesn't work—the trauma causes it to release infected fluids into your skin.
Step 5: Place into container
Place it into a small, lidded container, such as an empty pill or spice bottle, and push a tissue in after it. Add a splash of rubbing alcohol to kill any bacteria.
Step 6: Seal container & throw away
Seal the container and throw it in the trash. Never flush a tick down the toilet—it can easily survive in water.
If you don't have a small, lidded container handy, seal the tick in a small plastic storage bag or wrap it up in tape and throw it in the trash.
Step 7: Clean area
Thoroughly clean the area on your skin with soap and warm water, or rubbing
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades